A routine dental visit often seems like a chore and feels unnecessary: why have to pay to have your teeth cleaned when you do it daily at home?
Dentistry doesn’t always seem as important as those regular physicals with the family doc. But it is! In celebration of National Dental Hygiene Month, your dentists at Vassey Dental Partners remind patients of the importance of long term dental health.
What most people don’t realize is the strong connection between dental health and overall physical health. Poor dental health can affect and be affected by bigger health issues such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and hypertension. In most cases, patients don’t realize they have a developing oral health issue until it has become either an emergency or is causing additional dental health issues.
Visiting the dentist regularly for preventive care offers many benefits and is important for overall health. It is an investment in your healthcare that will “pay off” in the future.
Benefits of preventive dentistry:
- Dental cleanings are more thorough than at home brushing: our dental hygienists will clean all tooth surfaces and polish the enamel, noting if teeth appear worn or damaged.
- Dental exams and x-rays can spot possible problems in the early stage.
- Oral health can often be a window into overall health: larger problems may be spotted early on as they begin to affect dental health, often apparent in gum health.
- Patients who visit the dentist twice per year as recommended experience better long term dental health and quality of life.
- Avoiding the dentist and allowing dental problems to go untreated for long periods of time can eventually lead to complex problems- even tooth loss.
As we age, a healthy smile is an important part of overall physical well being: missing teeth or poor oral health can adversely affect speech, diet and daily quality of life.
Take the time your smile. It is an important part of you – and your overall health!